National Development Manager
- Title: National Development Manager
- Type: Managerial
- Employer: Baseball Softball UK
- Salary: £24,769 - £27,187 (additional London weighting offered)
BaseballSoftballUK is recruiting for a National Development Manager to help drive forward the development of baseball and softball in the UK.
- Can you work work with a wide range of volunteers and sports professionals to develop baseball and softball?
- Do you relish a challenge, have patience in abundance AND have good communication skills?
- Are you a dynamic, organised and conscientious "self-starter"?
If you think you fit the bill, and you have the ambition and commitment to help the sports progress, we look forward to hearing from you!
About the Company
BaseballSoftballUK is the development agency for baseball and softball in the UK, working on the promotion and development of the two sports. We are a small organisation with 15 full-time employees and a friendly working environment.
BaseballSoftballUK is primarily funded by Sport England.
About the Role
The role is one of two National Development Managers on the BSUK staff. First and foremost, the role of the NDMs is to oversee significant key areas of development work undertaken by BSUK in line with our 2009-2013 strategic plan, called our Whole Sport Plan.
The core purpose of this role is to deliver against BSUK's targeted outcomes and work programmes in Higher Education, Further Education, new adult leagues and children and young people. These four intervention areas will account for the majority of the growth targets agreed with Sport England and this role is pivotal in determining the success of the organisation against planned outcomes.
This will mainly involve establishing active and well-organised teams across all four geographical areas in which we work, but will also extend into ancillary club, facility, event and player-development activities.
Reporting to the Head of Development, the role will work within the National Development team, alongside national leads on club development, coaching and logistics to ensure an integrated approach to baseball and softball development and delivery across the country.
Strategic oversight of the outcome targets and programme results set by BaseballSoftballUK for the following areas:
- Universities.Further Education and Sixth Form Institutions.
- New Adult Leagues.
- Children and Young People.
- Designing and delivering, or overseeing and supporting, as appropriate, development programmes across the above areas.
- Supporting the delivery of national development plans across the portfolio of BSUK's development activity.
- Monitoring and tracking KPIs for all development activities under this role and supporting the organisation in the reporting of these activities.
The role will be responsible for:
- Understanding the success and impact of the four key areas on the delivery of the Whole Sport Plan, their strategic place and the role of these targets in relation to our regional and local development activities.
- Providing support, direction and guidance to our regional development staff and directly to clubs and leagues.
- Contributing to the development of national and regional delivery plans.
- Establishing relationships with key partners in the Higher Education, Further Education and corporate sectors, working closely with Sport England's sector leads.
- Establishing relationships with key partners in the Children and Young People sectors, working closely with Sport England's and the Youth Sport Trust's sector leads, as well as with the wider school sports' network.
- Strategically leading the regional staff in the delivery of national interventions leading to the organisation's growth outcomes.
- Helping to shape and support the work and partnership-building of regional development staff, across the four focus regions.
- Providing support for all BSUK programmes when needed and advising and assisting clubs' and leagues' development strategies.
As a national lead and a senior member of the Development Department, the role will be expected to be prepared to contribute across a wide range of activities, accepting collective and individual responsibility where needed and necessary.
At times, this may include becoming involved with regional work, directly delivering development activities or working upwards to shape the strategic direction of the organisation. All staff are expected to be organised and administratively sound, assisting others where necessary.
Activities that a National Development Manager could become involved in include:
- Setting strategic direction for the development of baseball and softball.
- Identifying initiatives and overseeing strategic planning and implementation.
- Raising public awareness of sporting opportunities and promoting participation in baseball and softball.
- Evaluating and monitoring activities and projects using performance indicators, including maintaining records and producing written reports.
- Attending local, regional and national meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Liaising with clubs and leagues to develop best practice in a range of areas.
- Managing resources and a budget and identifying potential opportunities for external funding.
- Maintaining links with county, regional and national sporting representatives.
- Working within specific guidelines, e.g. equal opportunities, health and safety and child protection.
- Providing technical and general articles for BSUK media as requested.
- Incorporating Equity and Child Protection into development delivery and ensuring relevant actions and targets are met.
- Offering event organisation, coaching, organisation and administration support across the organisation and the sports when appropriate and / or needed.
Interviews will take place between 14 - 25 March 2011 in central London. Candidates invited to interview should expect to make a short presentation on how you will approach the role. All candidates are expected to have researched the organisation and to have read and understood our 2009-2013 Whole Sport Plan. An updated summary and the full submission are available in the downloads section of our website.
BaseballSoftballUK Limited is committed to equality of opportunity and diversity in all its employment practices, policies and procedures. This means that no employee or potential employee will receive less favourable treatment due to their race, nationality, colour, ethnic or national origins, religion, sex, marital status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, sexual orientation, age, gender reassignment, work pattern or membership or non-membership of a Trade Union or any other irrelevant factor.
We are also committed to promoting gender equality in the workplace. We encourage applications from minority ethnic and disabled groups, as they are currently under-represented amongst our staff.
Should you require this information in a more suitable format, upon request, BaseballSoftballUK will make every reasonable effort to meet your needs.
The appointment is conditional on taking up references and the candidate gaining a clear enhanced disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau.
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
To download a job description and person specification click here.Tow download a job application click here.
Special Instructions: Applications should be submitted to the following address:
National Development Manager Job Application
74a Charlotte Street
+44 (0) 20 7453 7007
Marked to the attention of Mark Parfitt and including a fax cover sheet clearly stating the job being applied for, the number of pages to expect and the date of transmission.
A confirmation of receipt will be sent to you automatically. If you do not receive this confirmation please contact Mark Parfitt (details below).
Closing Date: 04.03.2011