Lambeth’s Dare 2 Dance Empowerment Day’s go off with a blast!
Stockwell Park and Lambeth Academy saw over 150 girls take part in their first Dare 2 Dance empowerment days on February 29th and March 1st.
The days are led by fully qualified and inspiring Street Dance instructors from Independance (www.independance.co.uk) who ensure the girls have a great time as well as learn new skills and get involved in an on-going programme.
55 girls then went on to attend the first of a 14 week programme which commenced Tuesday 6th March from 4pm-6pm at Stockwell Park Academy. The programme runs through to July 2012 culminating in The Battle of the Boroughs Competition on the 9 July at The Bloomsbury Theatre.
Andy Te Huna from Lambeth Academy said “the delivery of both Empowerment days was amazing. The Dare 2 Dance team were brilliant at relating to the girls, while developing their ability to dance. It was inspiring to see such a diverse range of girls so enthusiastic and energetic about dance... they are a credit to Lambeth and a great example of how young women can get active”.
Each Empowerment Day is designed to empower and increase the aspirations of participants, and ultimately involve them further in activities in school and in the local community.
Dare2Dance (D2D) is a ground-breaking project which aims to empower girls and young women aged between 14 and 24 through the medium of Street Dance.
The objectives of the project are to:
- To increase the number of girls and young women who are physically active through the medium of Street Dance using the Dare2Dance model
- To map, promote and support the development of at least one sustainable and regular dance opportunity in each selected Borough
- To identify (and establish where necessary) opportunities and support for the development of talented Street Dancers
- To grow the number of teenage girls and young women taking part in competitive & showcase opportunities in Street Dance
- To establish an appropriately skilled Street Dance workforce to support its growth and improvement
- To develop a sustainable Street Dance model across London boroughs