Search
  • karate
  • female in Gym on swiss ball
  • Setting up hurdles

e-newsletter

Register Now

The Sport and Physical Activity Partnership for London

What is a Community Sports Coach?

What is a Community Sports Coach?

A Community Sport Coach is Natioinal Governing Body qualified and employed on a full-time or part-time basis to coach sport and physical recreation to young people aged 6 to 16 years old.

NGB Qualifications

Community Sport Coaches should hold a minimum qualification of a Sports National Governing Body (NGB) Level 2 Coach award or, in exceptional circumstances, be working toward an NGB Level 2 Coach award within the first 6 months of employment.

If the coaching post is multi-sports, coaches should have at least one Level 2 and several Level 1 coaching qualifications.

Other Qualifications

In addition, coaches should ideally have been, or be within 6 months of employment, trained in at least the following areas:

  • Child Protection
  • First Aid
  • Disability Awareness
  • Equity Awareness
  • Long Term Athlete Development

Employment

Coaches must be employed by the Employing Organisation on a contract and paid through a payroll system on the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system. Community Sport Coaches cannot be self employed and be paid by invoice.

Deployment

Coaches must spend a minimum of 60 percent of their contracted hours in face to face coaching. The remaining 40 percent can be taken up by some administration, session planning, personal development and training, or travel. Community Sport Coaches are not development officers and therefore must have a strong emphasis on actual coaching and delivery.

Additionally, Community Sport Coaches should spend no more than 50 percent of their coaching hours coaching during curriculum time.